2. Mac carries around a copy of Walden by Henry David Thoreau. Thoreau was someone who believed that you could more fully be yourself by abandoning society for nature. Do you think there is something romantic about living in the tunnel and that it is much like Thoreau's idea of abandoning society? What's different?
3. What does Mac say when asked about his relationship to Transcendentalism (Thoreau's concepts)? (p. 31)
4. What kind of character is Smidge? Do you think he is real?
5. What is "Mac's War?" What is he doing to prepare for this war?
6. How many levels down is Mac? Do you think this affects how he perceives the world? Why?