2. What has Bernard passed on to live in the tunnels? Why?
3. What is the story that made Bernard legendary, and actually began the community that is now along these particular tracks?
4. What are some of the rules and duties of being a member of Bernard's camp?
5. What, according to Bernard, is the biggest problem in the tunnels? (p. 103.) Do you agree? Why or why not?
6. Explain why Bernard is wary of homeless advocacy groups and politicians.
7. Why is Bob allowed to be in Bernard's community, despite his drug use? What type of character is Bob?
8. Why does Don get kicked out of the tunnel?
9. What other characters are not welcome in Bernard's tunnel? Why?
10. How did John live within the tunnels? What happened when he was given the chance to live above ground?
11. How does 17 year old Tom end up in the tunnels? Who supports him?
12. How do tunnel dwellers seem to deal with different stories about people? Does it matter if the stories are true? What does matter, according to Bernard?